July 1, 2013

Where Can You Find Caterpillars? by Mrs. blackburn


How many butterfly eggs can you spot? There were several on the dill that my sister-in-law gave me. They look like tiny, tiny, light yellow balls. Butterflies lay eggs on the host plants their caterpillars need to eat. If you are going to hatch them in an enclosure, it is important to give them plenty of the plant you found them on. 

You can see in the photo below that I planted parsley, fennel and dill in pots as well as some in the ground. If I want to move eggs or a caterpillar to the hatching station, I can move the potted plant into the enclosure too. 

Look carefully for butterfly eggs on the plants in your own yard. Sometimes you might even find eggs on the underside of leaves. It didn't take much time after planting my own butterfly garden at home to notice more and more butterflies coming to my yard. More butterflies equals more eggs.  Since finding eggs on the dill, I've noticed them on other plants too. You just have to know what to look for. 


 You can see how one hungry caterpillar devoured the parsley in the photo below. When I say to be sure you have enough of the host plant to feed them, I really mean it. 



If you are really lucky like Mrs. Simpson, you can also find caterpillars on plants at the store. She hit the jackpot in the plant display at Alco. She found four of these Black Swallowtail caterpillars among the parsley. She was so excited that she bought all the parsley they had. I was happy because she let me adopt one of the caterpillars she found.  


He is huge!

The caterpillar spent two days eating parsley. June 30 it crawled to the highest spot he could find to prepare for a chrysalis. 


This is what the chrysalis looked like on July 2.

Look what I found the morning of July 12! A beautiful black swallowtail butterfly was drying its wings on the inside of the enclosure. I unzipped the hatching station and it crawled out onto the top, fluttered its wings for about two or three minutes and flew away. 

This tiny caterpillar was on a fennel plant I bought at Markum's Nursery in Moore. 

While you are waiting for Mom or Dad to finish shopping in Walmart, go to the garden center and hunt for caterpillars. 


1 comment:

  1. I like your idea to measure the caterpillars.

    ReplyDelete